This section requires you to answer 5 to 6 questions based on leadership, teamwork, motivation and firm specific values. You will be asked to write short answer responses that draw on a variety of experiences that you have had over the past few years.
Endeavor to use a variety of examples from work, university and extra-curricular in order to demonstrate you are a well-rounded individual.
- Be concise and specific, this is not an essay writing exercise. The recruiters will want to clearly see your answer to the question.
- Answers should provide specific occasions where you demonstrated the skill/value sort after. For example “My work at McDonald’s helped develop my communication skills” is too vague. Instead try “During my employment at McDonald’s I developed my communication skills as I was required to constantly interact with customers, who could be difficult. In order to manage this situation I…(add in what you did)”
- Proof read your answers! The recruiters will be put off by spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- Have someone you trust read over your answers.
These are online tests that generally comprise 3 sections: numerical reasoning, written (or verbal) comprehension and logic puzzles. They’re often used for interviews with Consulting, Finance, or Law firms. Tests are all timed generally all 3 sections combined will take one hour. Make sure you are ready for these because most firms use them to cull the majority of applicants.
- Attempt your test in a distraction free zone with a good internet connection as you can only attempt each assessment once and cannot pause after commencing the test.
- Make sure you have the materials specified before you start the assessments (e.g. calculator, pens and paper)
- Attempt the untimed practice questions at the start even if you are allowed to skip them. These will give you a sense of the questions to come.
- Practice practice practice. There are online websites that offer free or paid test questions that you can use to practice before your assessment. www.gradtests.com.au is one such website.
This section will be for those who scored well in the psychometric evaluation and will be a series of short questions similar to the online application. This section is primarily used to ensure you are able to carry out a conversation and did not fabricate your answers to the online application.
- Find a quiet distraction free place to take the call.
- Ensure that you know or can see the answers you have written for the online application as they will ask similar questions.
- If it is a video interview, ensure to dress appropriately and speak in a clear manner as your answers are usually recorded to be viewed by recruiters later on.
This is the final stage and will take at least half a day. It includes a group task and a one on one or two on one interview with managers or above. You may be required to retake some psychometric testing to validate your results. The group task and interview have equal weighting in determining the outcome of your application, so ensure to place equal importance on both.
Tips: Group Interview
- Introduce yourself to the assessors in the room as this demonstrates a professional attitude and helps them to remember you during the marking process.
- Try not to dominate conversation but also do not seem shy and unwilling to participate in discussions. It is a difficult balance to achieve but shows you are a team player. This is perhaps the most important criteria used when marking applicants.
- The group interview is not always about being right, it is more about how you interact with the other applicants.
- Introduce yourself to the interviewers as soon as you enter
- Use different examples from work, university and extra-curricular activities and do not use the same example for more than one question.
- Do not be afraid to take a few seconds to think of your answer. It is better to have a clear and well thought out answer rather than to answer as quickly as possible.
- Be aware of current events that may affect the firm as this is a question commonly asked to see if you can show you are interested in the field.
- Ensure you have questions to ask about the firm and the grad/intern program.